Friday, January 25, 2008

Down the river with Huck and Jim...

I was sitting in the surgery waiting room to waiting see my mom and my dad says to me “Well, the story is Huck’s dad is a drunk, and then he goes down the river with Jim, Tom has a crush on Becky, uh,…Why are you reading Huck Finn anyway? Didn’t you read that in high school?” Then I explained the bildungsroman and the purpose of our class to my dad, interesting to say the least. Funny, I remember reading Huck Finn, but I as I know go back, I see nuances in Huck that I never noticed before, probably due to the fact that since I last read the book I was in my early teens, and I too have grown since then. The relationship between Huck and Jim is symbiotic. Most memorable is when Huck first finds Jim hiding, and he makes the statement about abolitionists and helping Jim, but he does not care. Huck does discriminate on Jim, he sees Jim as a companion and person than a color of skin. As their journey continues, their bond grows and Huck pushes aside prejudices despite the outcome he might face.

No comments: