Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Wilderness

In my mind I keep hearing the slogan from Disney’s Thunder Mountain Railroad “This here is the wildest ride in the wilderness,” and that brings to me to what I think wilderness, it’s that certain part of untamed life in which we can find escape in desolation away from all. There’s a famous saying about man’s true nature being shown when he is not in the company of others, and we can look at The Bear, and we see Isaac’s nature, of trying to completely immerse his self in the forest leaving the things that tie him to progress. Then we look at Boon, who when no one sees lets Lion sleep with him. Rarely, do we get to see people in their true nature, when they find solace in something apart from themselves such as the wilderness. I often walk on campus past the bridge by the science building, looking down at the creek, and the sunset reflects, and for a moment I wish I could stay there forever, but then I remember that I am not alone, or even wilderness as someone whizzes past me. I think we each find our own solace in our own sort of wilderness for some that is Cameron Park, for some the city, for some it is merely watching passersby or gazing into the sunset, and that in our mind is our desolate uncultured spot, our wilderness.

No comments: