There are some people you meet in life that just make you smile, and Randall O’Brien is definitely one of them. His open honest attitude about conversing with us really amazed me, because so many family members of my own do not talk about their Vietnam experience. His reliance on God instead of drugs or alcohol is what I believe makes a world of difference. Unlike the character in the book who shows his postcards to people, O’Brien did wear his faith like a badge; he wore it more like a coat of armor. Hearing his experiences makes the novel more real, and the feelings and thoughts of the characters more identifiable to us. I really just enjoyed listening to the Provost’s stories, hearing his views and how the war changed his life in a positive manner; more people had gone into the war with faith, I think the outcomes of the veterans may have been a little bit better afterward.
No comments:
Post a Comment